Michael Y. Lo
Attorney Michael Y. Lo is the founder and senior partner at the firm. He received his Bachelor of Applied Science degree in 1975 from Queen's University in Canada, his Juris Doctor degree from the University of West Los Angeles, and passed the California Bar in 1981.
Over the past four decades, Mr. Lo has handled a countless variety of cases. It will be too exhaustive to list all of them, but examples of the types of the cases are listed as follows:
- General litigations concerning business disputes, real estate matters, trademark and copyright violations, construction defects, and breach of contracts issues, etc.;
- Numerous bankruptcy petitions under Chapter 7 and 13 of the bankruptcy code, and many under Chapter 11;
- Transactional work such as drafting and reviewing of contracts, preparing minutes and resolutions, setting up corporations and LLCs, etc.;
- Personal injury cases involving motor vehicles, pedestrians, and airplanes, etc.;
- Estate planning and drafting of many different types of trust.
- Jury trials regarding a natural gas explosion case and a breach of contract case.
Mr. Lo has therefore accumulated a vast amount of experience handling these types of cases. With that knowledge and experience, Mr. Lo is guiding the firm and providing other partners, associates, paralegals, and law clerks of the firm with vision, wisdom, practical insight, and know-how, which attributes are often found lacking in other smaller or younger firms.
Besides English, Mr. Lo is also fluent in Mandarin and Cantonese dialects. For international business clients desiring direct communication with an attorney in their native language, with sufficient experience and sophisticated knowledge of the legal system, in a firm size enough to handle their transnational legal matters, this firm has proven to be a right fit for them. Mr. Lo is known among his clients for having the ability to explain complicated legal concepts in easy to understand language that clients can understand.
Miscommunication is probably the number one reason why a client is dissatisfied with a law firm’s services and why most cases do not come to a client’s expected conclusion. No language barrier, ease of communication, and years of experience are the main reasons clients keep coming back for this firm’s services.
Mr. Lo is also active in pro bono work, often voluntarily acting as legal counsel for many local non-profit entities, foundations, and charitable organizations.
Mr. Lo enjoys playing golf in his spare time. He carries a Handicap Index around 15. He is a member of a local golf club, which conducts outings, tournaments, and golf trips frequently. Combining travel and golf is his favorite way to relax. Mr. Lo also enjoys club-making. Tinkling with his golf clubs to achieve ultimate performance is an elusive goal that has no ending, but give Mr. Lo great pleasure in the process of reaching it.